Sunday, August 21, 2011

Week-9 Finishing Line

“We are judged by what we finish, not what we start.” — Anonymous
It felt great posting the Report, as is true of most creative acts we take up. Strangely though I felt even more charged up after submitting it. Was it the effect of being a student in a virtual classroom? The project had progressed very smoothly. My trainees, the subjects of the project and I had enjoyed trying out different tools of technology. And later writing the report gave me a great sense of satisfaction. 

And now over to the weekly schedule of tasks and discussions:

To talk shop at social events may be bad manners but I can't help doing it. Like it or not, thanks to the course I don't just have lots to do but lots to talk about too. Such are the wonders of technology or its obsessions. 

Besides multiple intelligences, there was plenty of information on learner types. Learning styles, learning environments, learning tools. Together, they should prompt teachers to determine learning strategies for the classs. There was Teacher Tap with information on technology and multiple intelligences, and then there were Felder's and O'Connor's and Montgomery's articles. One of the articles took me to Howard Gardner too.  But the essence of them all was captured in the NYTs article. It addressed teachers' approach and learners' learning style, the importance of study locations, modes and materials. The best quote was the comparison of cramming (of the traditional style of learning) with a hurriedly packed cheap suitcase which will burst open spilling out contents. 

I plan to make a grid of the important contents from the articles but after the course. Their application is a reality for all of us. Almost all teachers shy away from them - are on denial mode . Higher education teachers in colleges teaching literature and other subjects have the gumption to question the very need to use even the one-computer classroom. Many of them detest the idea of having to make PPTs. They call those using them being 'dependent' on technology. For them a teacher is complete and the ones using other tools are doing so because they are not self-sufficient. How do I convince them that technology augments what the teacher does not substitute or replace them? Amidst such reservations vis-a-vis technology, recognition of multiple intelligences, learners possessing individual learning styles, convincing teachers to use technology is a tall order. It makes my task daunting but I won't stop trying.

So, I have a rough plan or rather plans:
1. Have my PGCTE syllabus converted to digital (ICT) format and offer it online to not just school teachers but college teachers too.
2. Incorporate ideas of ICT-based learning in the syllabus.
3. Offer the courses to many more groups of teachers directly or through organizations like RELO, British Council.
4. Guide those in material production.
5. Organize a series of seminars on ICT based learning.
6. Create Webquests and websites/ forums for managing courses, educating others on methods and preparing materials. 

Doing this course feels like I have found the next purpose of life. I have always been a very application oriented person so I would like to see myself implementing all that I learnt.  
     .        
During the week I systematically went through almost all the blogs and found some of them to be carrying interesting video clips. I plan to save them for future use.

That is it from me. More next week.

Sharda   

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sharda,
    I am really happy to know a person like you and I am really glad you found in this course lots of interesting things that you are going to implement in your career. Sharda, I am really interested to see the grid you are planning to do by the end f this course . could you elaborate on this and keep me updated?

    All the best to you

    Hala

    ReplyDelete